Integrative Medicine (IM) takes account of the whole person, including all aspects of lifestyle. It is informed by scientific evidence and makes use of all appropriate therapies.
- Patient and practitioner are partners in the healing process.
- All factors that influence health, wellness and disease are taken into consideration, including mind, spirit, and community, as well as the body.
- Appropriate use of both conventional and alternative methods facilitates the body’s innate healing response.
- Effective interventions that are natural and less invasive should be used whenever possible.
- Integrative medicine neither rejects conventional medicine nor accepts alternative therapies uncritically.
- Alongside the concept of treatment, the broader concepts of health promotion and the prevention of illness are paramount.
- Mental and spiritual wellness