So you went to the doctor about your child’s sore throat and the rapid strep test was negative. What now? Over 90% of sore throats or “pharyngitis” are viral infections and antibiotics are not helpful or needed. Are there any natural options that can be helpful?
Here are a few things you can try to help sooth your child’s sore throat:
- Raw Honey: A daily dose of raw honey is one of several soothing strep throat home remedies and has the most evidence for its efficacy on treating viral infections. Honey’s healing property is due to its antibacterial and antiviral activity and its ability to create a protective barrier to prevent infection and bactericidal activity.
- Supplements- Vitamin C and D, Elderberry: Use vitamin C to boost your immune system, repair tissue damage in the throat and decrease your risk of a wide range of illnesses. Scientific evidence also shows the important role vitamin D plays in the immune system because of its antimicrobial defenses. Additionally, elderberry has antibacterial and antiviral effects.
- Gargle with Himalayan Salt: Gargling with pink Himalayan salt water helps to reduce swelling, soothes a sore throat and creates an unpleasant environment for bacteria in your mouth. Himalayan salt is known to improve respiratory conditions because it’s an antibacterial and antiviral agent.
- Herbal Tea: Drink herbal tea to soothe your throat, ease pain and treat inflammation of the mucous membranes. Chamomile tea is a great choice to reduce pain, congestion, swelling and redness. Echinacea can also be used to relieve pain related to Pharyngitis, such as sore throat, headaches and body aches. It has anti-inflammatory effects that will help to reduce swelling in the throat and tonsils.
- Bone Broth and Apple Cider Vinegar: Bone broth helps to keep you hydrated and it provides minerals that you need to boost your immune system. It’s soothing and easy to eat when you are suffering from a sore throat or swollen tonsils due to strep throat. Sipping apple cider vinegar is also an easy way to treat strep throat naturally. Apple cider vinegar has powerful healing compounds such as acetic acid, which has antibacterial and antiviral activity.